Friday, January 30, 2009

Cardboard biscuits

Being the dedicated mother that I am (ahem!) I decided to make some biscuits that don't contain sugar. Easier said than done. Most recipes that I found were for diabetic people and contained artificial sweeteners. Here's one recipe that I tried:

1 cup oats
1 cup ground oats (oats whizzed in a whizzy thing)
1/4 teaspoon salt (not sure that's really necessary)
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon/ginger or cardamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking powder (not sure that's really necessary either)
2 overripe bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 tablespoons oil (any type)

The instructions read 'mix the dry ingredients together and the wet ingredients together and combine'. Then drop spoonfuls onto a greased baking tray and cook in a preheated oven for 15-20 mins at 200.

They weren't a disaster, but I definitely wouldn't have served them to guests. They were more than reminiscent of cardboard, but then Galen quite likes cardboard and paper in general so I'm not sure why I go to all this effort!

Anyhow, I did some experimenting and found an easier and tastier alternative that Galen likes despite not being cut out of an old box....

Fry a blob of butter (I use unsalted) and mashed banana. Add a cupful of oats. Hey presto, sugar-free flapjacks. Squish into a small dish for baking and bake for 20 mins at about 200. The first time I did it, I added coconut and because it was quite dry I poured some water over it as oats don't tend to cook when they're really dry. The second time I used some frozen cherries instead which had quite a bit of moisture in them so I didn't need to add water.

Quite a successful first experiment. I think I'll play around with ingredients and try different fruit and spices. Not sure how long they'll last for so I didn't make that much (but they taste quite good and I'd be happy to eat them if need be).

No comments:

Post a Comment