Thursday, January 22, 2009

Us


Welcome to my new 'weaning and the wonderful world of babies' blog spot. As babies grow up so quickly and we forget the details of when they were small so easily, I thought I'd write this blog spot to help me remember. I hope that it provides entertainment for some and perhaps a bit of encouragement for others. So without further ado, let me introduce ourselves:

I’m a paediatric doctor, currently on maternity leave. My husband, Carlton, does 'IT' and works from home. Galen, our beautiful son was born at the beginning of July by emergency caesarian section due to fetal distress (all very dramatic). He spent 4 days on SCBU with ‘boy-flu’, there wasn’t much wrong with him but he did need to have antibiotics. After what seemed like an age, he came home. Hooray! How tiny he was then and how long ago it seems. He was (and remains) breast fed and took to it with gusto.

At 17 1/2 weeks I decided to try him on solids as it appeared to me that he was getting more and more hungry. His ‘4.30’ feed was getting earlier and earlier. I don’t know if I was right or not, but he took to solids like a dream and continues to enjoy his food!

At first we just tried small amounts of apple puree and mashed banana, but we had soon progressed to butternut squash, pureed melon (both with baby rice in to thicken it), sweet potato and apple and pear puree.

Now at 6 1/2 months he has 3 meals a day. He always has banana for breakfast and I try to give him something ‘substantial’ for dinner in the hope that it’ll help him sleep through the night (e.g. porridge/sweet potato/mash). He’s started with finger food and loves it (after a rocky start).

I don’t give him jars unless we’re away (and generally not even then). I find they make his poo runny and rather toxic! I try not to give him salt or sugar, without getting too stressed about it (he’s had ‘petit filous’ and ‘reduced sugar rusks’ both of which have sugar in them). I try to combine our food and his, which isn’t always possible if we’re having something spicy. I now have a freezer full of little squares of pureed and mashed food.

I’ve looked on various website for recipes, some of which are great, some of which are too fussy. Anyhow, he’s how we’re getting along...

1 comment:

  1. Well i sure hope that by the time i come to having a little tinker there will be a comperhensive kerek gibson guide! x

    ReplyDelete